Those were the good old days, something I have heard a lot from older folks or even peers. I don't know about you but it kinda gets irritating when people start comparing these days to the 'good' old days and how it is so much better to live at those times. Of course undoubtedly there were great moments in the past which you don't find these days. Examples such as the the choice of playing outside without the worry of kidnapping, or enjoying oneself at a clear and clean riverside.
However, let us take the good old days to the past 100 years. Here are the examples of good old days which does not fit the definition of 'good'. There were the famous World War 1 (WW1) and World War 2 (WW2). From WW2, we had the Japanese Occupation in Malaysia. During those times, I am pretty sure that many people suffered in one way or another. Honestly, I cannot imagine the fear and anxiety having to live at those times. I may not be able to fully understand the emotions, but I know enough is not a good feeling.
To top with that, Malaysia had the racial tension in 16th May 1969, or even the rule of Malayan Communist Party at one time. How does any of these events come even close to the term 'good old days'? Don't get me wrong, I am not indicating that the older folks should feel miserable about their past. I am just saying that each one of us live in different eras which has its own shares of both great and bad moments. I personally do not believe a particular time in history outshines any other moment. Well, it is never wrong to cherish what was in the past, but nevertheless, we ourselves determine how much we want to live up in the present.
So before we start bragging about the good old days and how bad these days are, just think about it. Was it really that good?
No comments:
Post a Comment