Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Keeper of Secrets

     I travel everyday, to almost every house, collecting unwanted things from people. Things which are deem to be dirty, filthy, useless, unhygienic, just simply disgusting.  Sometimes I use a pair of glove, other times I would collect it with my bare hands. Often this stuff comes in a plastic bag, while some may come in boxes, or even individuals such as a bed. Even some are left at the pathway, expecting me to scrap off every single filth from the ground. Some houses have more, some are just none at all. 

     Most of the time I just see plastic bags, not the people. The only greeting I receive are the squeaks from rats or buzzing from houseflies. I too don't get a word of thanks from humans since I don't see them at all. Many wouldn't want to take my place, unrewarding, unpromising as other occupations. However, there is something I take pleasure in my job.

     Though is true that it is rubbish that I collect, but among the piles of filth... lies the secrets, worries, and memories of every house. Sometimes I would find love letters, most probably discarded from a broken relationship. Beautiful photo albums, marking the end of a generation, a memory or pictures which may be too difficult to look upon again. Bills, indicating the end of unsettled debts. Items which are too embarrassing to be revealed. What I do? I help these individuals, families to remove these once significant or painful moments of their lives. I help them to move on, to let go, taking all of these with me to be discarded forever. 

     You never know how much I can learned from collecting people's rubbish. I don't even have to meet that person to know who he or she is. All I need to do is just look at the rubbish they dispose. Furthermore, I would be the last person, maybe even the only person to know secrets that was kept hidden, before it is finally put to rest forever. Though I am just a garbage collector, but I believe I am a Keeper of Secrets too.

No comments:

Post a Comment