After indulging my senses with the movie, Pacific Rim, I head on to The Gardens shopping mall to check out an art gallery that was on displayed. This art gallery was entitled 'Bewildered', featuring art paintings by an artist by the name of Toon Hian. As in any other gallery, the room was almost empty, except it was decorated with various art pieces of Toon Hian, some biography and a table with some books on it. Well, I guess having a room that empty has its reasons, to focus on the paintings!! If an art gallery has television, food stalls and etc, who would be able to keep their eyes on the paintings for long? Well, that is the practical part of an art gallery.
Now some insight on the painting. Honestly, my mind became confused and twisted as I look at the paintings. Some of the paintings were reflections of his time in Perak, in which Ipoh was one of it. I myself once lived in Ipoh itself, however his paintings and description of the Ipoh I knew was not how I could remember it. I took time trying to figure out and relate with one of the paintings which supposingly describe a part of Ipoh. After awhile I began to realize, why am I trying to relate it to myself? Why not I look from his perspective of how he remembered Ipoh? Wasn't it the purpose of displaying his painting was to show the audience his own interpretation of life or perspective? So rather than knocking myself out relating to it, I try to understand from his perspective.
Another thing about paintings such as this is that it is not perfect. Jagged lines, patches everywhere, no perfect circle, faces out of form and so on. Anyone would notice if they look close enough at the painting. But one funny thing though. Because everything looks like a mistake, it somehow fits together just right. Why would something that has so much flaws, look so right at the same time. Then I realize, if it was a memory, that would explain all the imperfections. Unlike real-like portrait drawing, Toon Hian's pieces was a reflection, showcase of his memory. How many of us can actually point out every single detail of the memories we had? None I'm sure. Memories are blurry, imperfect. Therefore, I believe the paintings were realistic in it's own way. Real pictures of how memories would look like if they were drawn out.
Haha, good POV, made me think of disfiguring myself. :D
ReplyDelete