Recently I saw an article on a project by the name of Mars One. Basically this project aims to establish a permanent human colony on Mars by 2023. Well, it is an interesting project, I mean, living in another planet? That is something you can pick out from a lot of science fiction movies, which now seems to be taking a step closer to reality. I really do praise the ongoing effort taken by people and organization involve in making this project a success, hopefully.
However, project such as this requires lots of financial support. But yeah, anything to do with space exploration is definitely going to consume huge amount of money. This came across my mind, how many people can actually go there at a time? Let's say there is already a well establish little village on Mars, how many people can actually afford to make a trip there? I honestly believe that even with the success of this project, only a minority can feel the result of this success. As I mention earlier, if you ever want to travel in space with our current technology, is going to cost you a bomb.
Personally, I will be amazed by the success (if they succeed), but that's about it. Is going to be a short term excitement simply because it is not something I can actually look forward to visit or experience. Yeah, it is said the journey is going to be documented on a television reality show all day, all week, all year. But that's about it, the journey to Mars for most of us is going to be as close as we are to the television screen. It is similar to the movie '2012', mega-size ships were built which is amazing if they actually exist, but people who could afford it are the rich. Is the same with this project, is either you are filthy rich or very heavily sponsored to be able to participate in this project.
Then I wonder, would it be better if there is a project on a underwater settlement or something like that? Something more relevant to everyone. Though I guess it could get as expensive as Mars One, but I believe it is more beneficial than the establishment on Mars. Simply because there is the opportunity for anyone and everyone to actually live in one if there is one. It doesn't have to be a settlement, it can simply be a underwater theme park or hotel. How cool would that be? I would be more excited because it is different and there is a higher possibility of visiting one. And maybe a good idea to curb the ongoing global warming, ice melting issue we are currently facing, to live underwater.
Well, I would just want to say that Mars One is a good futuristic idea of us human living in another planet but it is not something I would keep myself attached to its progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment